Harry Seidler (1923-2006)
Austrian-born Harry Seidler received his architectural education in both Canada and in the USA under Bauhaus founder Walter Gropius, and Marcel Breuer.
Arriving in Sydney in 1948, Seidler’s first commission was the renowned Rose Seidler House, built for his parents in Wahroonga on Sydney’s Upper North Shore. Rose Seidler House won him critical acclaim and lead to many further design commissions throughout Sydney, and is now owned and run by Sydney Living Museums. Seidler produced many individual and apartment residential works throughout the 1950s though to the 1990s.
Hallmarks of Seidler Residential Design: 1950s -1960s
Bush settings with views to take advantage of natural environment
- Integration of indoor and outdoor living spaces with use of many external doors
- Outdoor areas such as flagged terraces and timber sundecks
- Use of large windows either full height (living areas) or waist height (service areas)
- Use of zoning- for example, Rose Seidler House consists of two distinct\zones, one for public/living and one for private/sleeping, linked by a transitional playroom and sundeck, using flexible wall dividers allowing spaces to be reconfigured
Rose Seidler House, Wahroonga
Harry Seidler, 1948
Killara House, Killara
Harry Seidler, 1966
Harry Seidler, 1984-1985
Meares House, Balmain
Harry Seidler, 1994-1995