Primus Hotel, Sydney
The former Sydney Water building in Pitt Street has reopened as Primus, a five star hotel.
The heritage listed Art Deco building, built in 1939, was designed by Nicholas Mackey and Henry Budden – who also designed the David Jones Elizabeth Street building- and was one of the last buildings completed before the outbreak of World War II.
In 2008 Sydney water sold the building to Greenland International Hotels Group who spent the last two years restoring its formers glory. Woods Bagot, a global architecture and design practise was appointed to undertake the refit. The new space has been transformed into a 6 floor 172 room hotel with a restaurant and bar, presidential suite and ballroom. The rooftop once used as a shooting range, is now a rooftop pool and bar.
Restoration works included removing tar from the skylights, restoring original glazed ceramic tiles and fitting balustrades with Italian marble. New glazing has been suspended over the restored original ‘laylight’ glazing. The building’s heritage has been interpreted by retaining Sydney Water’s insignia on the floor of the lobby entrance and the original bubblers throughout. Important decorative detailing includes the 8m tall red scagliola columns in the lobby.
Click here for the hotel website