MHM Design Portfolio
Our partnership is bonded by a mutual belief that Sydney’s built environment gains much from the preservation of its mix of building styles. Our aim is to give a fresh approach to heritage conservation by celebrating the ability of great contemporary design to maintain and enhance existing structures and add to that mix.
This philosophy translates directly to our design approach. We aim to create contemporary interiors that sit comfortably within their historical framework. The beauty of old houses is that they have a strong aesthetic of their own. Guided by the clients practical requirements, our skill is to edit the trends of today to pinpoint those that suit the project. With this aim, our design can achieve a seamless whole based on the form and character of the building.
With this ethos, we believe that we have a great formula for giving you a unique design approach.Importantly we also offer the ability to work to your schedule, coordinate with architect and builder and keep the whole process on track.
In practice, with renovations of old houses, the creative process is often guided by the activity of problem solving, one that we enjoy. We also know the importance of sourcing the necessary skilled craftsmen and working alongside builders and architects to achieve the best result.
The less celebrated but hard working elements of interior design are the practicalities of the process such as scheduling, time management, budgeting and liasing with suppliers and trades. As we all have several of our own renovations behind us we approach your requirements with the practical skills you will require to keep the job on track.
The scope of decorating services that we can provide range from:
- advice on appropriate design styles to compliment your heritage house
- advice on the authenticity or value of heritage features before demolition
- consultation on finishes and fabrics
- selection of fittings such as door hardware, knobs, lighting,
- coordinating production of curtains and upholstery etc,
- editing the huge body of furniture out there into a manageable selection,
- restyling to best combine existing and new items and
- editing or selecting artwork
- sourcing a few standout, unique pieces that can give a house that edge.
From sophisticated Georgian, wild art deco, glamorous P&O, gregarious Spanish Mission, cool modernist, heritage houses ooze style and individuality. If you have bought one and want to maintain some of its magic, then you know what we mean. If you want sympathetic contemporary design from people who truly enjoy old buildings and new, we may be for you.